Getting fit! My fitbit pushing the limits.

I've had this Fitbit Surge for about a month or so now (longer? the time flies), and I'm ready to say that I absolutely love it. I've gotten entirely used to the size, which at first glance felt too big, too thick, and ultimately cumbersome. The truth is that it's an awesome device, and although there are other flashy devices that tout the same claims as the Surge, I'm finding that my device is giving me better readings and service than the others.

I should mention that after I'd loved my Surge for a couple weeks, Wifey decided to get herself a superwatch, but the Surge is too big for her dainty girlishness. So after a whole lot of research, she got the Microsoft Band, which to its credit, is actually also pretty awesome. It has all of the same features as the Surge including:

  • Activity tracking
  • All day Heart Rate Monitoring
  • Sleep Analysis
  • GPS for running, biking, etc.
  • Step counting
Wifey loves her Microsoft Band!
The Band also has some kitschy other apps that you can use it for, the list of which is pretty slim right now, but will probably widen with time. It also has a color screen, which is nice. My wife loves it. And it was $50 cheaper than the Surge.

Why do I love my Surge? Why am I still happy I have it rather than say, the Band? In short, because it does exactly what I need it to do seamlessly, without extra effort, every time, without distraction. Now that they've added the bike tracking capability to my Surge, it's especially satisfying.

Quick story that demonstrates how the Surge is pushing my limits.

Back to work!
I challenged my father-in-law to the Goal Day. Basically, we both need to make our step goals. Beyond that, it's who takes more steps. His step goal is something like 10,000 steps per day (same as mine), though he averages 11,000. And he's fiercely competitive. I wanted to give him a run for his money, so I biked to work, thinking that I'd get some credit for the ride, but the truth is that I didn't get much because of the aforementioned update to the Surge (biking discounts steps). So after work, Wifey and I went on to a half hour walk, which turned into a full hour walk. But I was only at about 12,000 steps at this point. I knew that in order to beat him, I'd need to go the distance. After supper, I waited an hour and went on a run (that's 2 days in a row!) on a day when I ordinarily wouldn't have. That's a huge deal. End of the day, I beat him: 16,651 to 15,075. It was a great day.

Well, I just wanted to share that, now I've got to get back to work. Happy trails!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's Been A While

Working Hard to Get My Thrills

All About That Tech