All About That Tech

As I mentioned in the past, Wifey did not get a FitBit. I have the FitBit Surge, but Wifey has the Microsoft Band. She hasn't loved it as much as I've loved my Surge. Which is why today, I bought her the Charge HR.

The problem she has with the Microsoft Band isn't the hardware. She likes the design. It's fairly rugged, good looking (enough, at least), color screen, etc. etc. etc. The software sucks though. Right out of the box, it took a good 20 minutes to connect to her phone. That should have been the first red flag. We did get it connected though, and went on our way. Since then, we've noticed it just doesn't track her steps as well as anyone else's fitness band, mine in particular. Especially if she's carrying anything in that hand, it doesn't count all her steps, which is a major flaw. Mine is just more sensitive I guess?

The root of the problem though is the connectivity to the phone. At times, because of Bluetooth connection errors, she would go days without syncing her watch to her phone. It just didn't want to sync. What a major pain! On top of that, she was feeling left out on all the competitive aspects of the Fitbit community. A bunch of our friends have Fitbits, and we're all competing, and she's sitting there taking pictures of her watch to text it to everyone to show she's part of the fun. Except that she has to work way harder to even stay competitive. It wasn't a good situation. So I bought her the Fitbit Charge HR, $150. She's thrilled. Hooked up super easily to the phone. Lasts 5 days on one charge. Sleek, lightweight, and it has the "just works" factor. So far I think she really likes it.

Biking:
I've been out of the game for a bit, to be honest. I was fixing up my bike, and then I got busy with this and with that, and just didn't go out for a ride ever. Today I broke the slump and went for an 8 mile ride. I also decided that since they don't exist, I need to create a group for Cleveland Jews to compete and commiserate on both Strava and Fitbit. Here are the links:

Strava:

Fitbit:

I'm hoping that having more people like me who are essentially fat shlubs who really just want to be slim, sexy, healthy, and all that good stuff will find fellows to work together with.

On a related note, my sister used to bike quite a lot and when she was really into it, she bought herself some rollers to use. She also bought a fork for the front for learning to use it properly (in the beginning, it's entirely likely you'll fall off easily). But now she's had kids and it's unlikely she'll get back into it. And even if she does, she won't use the rollers. So she's selling to me (she has yet to name her price). Well, a couple pieces were missing, but after a quick trip to Home Depot, I fixed it, and it works great. Now I can fold it up and use it in the wintertime to stay in shape. Woohoo!


Running:
I've done some running, but nothing since my last post. I'm thinking I might run today if I have the energy for it. We'll see.

Mindset:
My emotional state is good. I am not entirely satisfied with how I feel about my Judaism however. Obviously that's the kind of thing where people tell you to never be satisfied but I am even less satisfied than usual. I haven't been to shul in a while. I avoid davening at all costs. I blow off my chavrusahs at every given point. I'm a little out of control. At the end of the day I don't want to get off the couch. Part of it is laziness. The problem here is how to deal with the parts of Judaism I don't entirely enjoy. I've always loved learning, but not in the linear fashion that they use in schools. They don't keep it interesting enough. I don't really want to go learn. And then there's davening. I'd much rather spend a longer time with my breakfast than daven. I'm working on it, but don't hold your breath here.

Diet:
You may have heard me say that I don't believe in dieting. Dieting implies that you're eating in a very restrictive way for a set period of time until you reach your weight goal, and then it will change. Diet is simply monitoring your intake and making sure you're eating what you really want to. Eat healthily.

I'm noticing more and more that people who are happiest and healthiest (and yes, they do seem to be in the same group) eat the best. I don't mean they eat food with no flavor. I mean the food they eat is the most nutritious and the least processed. Simply shying away from processed foods will slice hundreds if not thousands of calories off your diet every day.

I'm interested in looking at what the diet of ancient civilizations consisted of. I'm particularly interested in the diets of civilizations I consider to be the most healthy. Natives of various lands, mostly. The Native Americans, Native Australians, Ancient Chinese and Ancient Japanese, Indian, Middle Eastern, Greek, South American, Ethiopian, Scandinavian cousines in particular interest me. These are the places I most strongly associate with thin, long-lived peoples. If I can figure out what kinds of foods they tended to eat, perhaps I can invigorate my diet with their principles and recipes. It's an idea I'll look into. Hmmm... I'm hungry. Peace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's Been A While

Working Hard to Get My Thrills